vcbs header image

Howe Covered Bridge

Tunbridge, VT
WGN Number: 45-09-07

Howe Covered Bridge
Howe Covered Bridge
Photo by Gloria Smedley © 2018

The Howe Bridge is privately owned serves as a gateway to the Howe family farm. The portals are decorated with flowers set in antique cattle feeding buckets.

According to the Covered Spans of Yesteryear website, repairs were made in 1994 to the deck. The site also notes that the roof and "the unusual knee braces" were replaced in 2002.

The Bridger Winter 2007 newsletter features an article by Winnie Howe that provides some historical background on the Howe Covered Bridge. The article was written in 1960.

Our thanks to the Town of Tunbridge for allowing the posting of the Vermont Covered Bridge Society Welcome patch. For more information about the Tunbridge area visit their website at

Howe Covered Bridge Vital Statistics

Town: Tunbridge
Location: Belknap Brook Road
Crossing: First Branch of the White River
Date: 1879
Builder: Mudget, Wells, Tenny
Truss Type: Multiple kingpost
Truss Length: 75 feet
National Register of Historical Places Listing Date: September 10, 1974
Date Rehabilitated: 2011

Credits: All pictures, information and descriptions are taken from Spanning Time Vermont's Covered Bridges by Joseph C. Nelson ©1997 and the World Guide to Covered Bridges - 2009 unless otherwise specified.

HTML5 logo