Lycoming County, PA, December 12, 2010 - Lycoming County will spend $866,000 to renovate The Lairdsville, or Moreland, or Frazier covered bridge, the work to be done next spring and summer using funding made available through a state program designed to save the historic structures.
The other bridges, the Buttonwood and the Buckhorn, were renovated in 1998 using the same type of funding - a combination of Federal Highway Transportation funding and state Act 26 funding - that will be used to fix the Moreland bridge.
The Buttonwood bridge was renovated at a cost of about $147,000,the Buckhorn at a cost of $105,000.
According to the World Guide to Covered Bridges, published by the National Society for the Preservation of Covered Bridges; the 74-foot Buttonwood bridge was built in 1898 to cross Blockhouse Creek in a single span using a combination multiple king post and queen post truss.
The 93-foot Buckhorn bridge was built in 1877 to cross Larry's Creek in a single span using a Burr truss.
The 78-foot Moreland bridge was built in 1888 to cross Little Muncy Creek also using a Burr truss, also a single span. This bridge is in such a state that nearly all of it's original fabric will need to be replaced.
[Our thanks to Tom Keating for finding this story - Ed.]