Edinburg, NY, June 24, 2003 - New York's Department of Transportation granted the Town of Edinburg $28,000 to "enhance" the tourism potential of the historic Copeland Covered Bridge.
The funds, coming from DOTs Transportation and Community and System Preservation Pilot Program, are to be used for landscaping, benches and interpretive signs. Work should be completed by 2004.
The Copeland Bridge crosses Beecher Creek near Sacandaga Lake in Saratoga County. The 35-foot bridge was built in 1879 by Arad Copeland using a queenpost truss.
Part of the Copeland farm, it was deeded to the Edinburg Historical Society in 1997. The Historical Society and the town restored the bridge structure during the winter of 2000 and 2001 using $75,000 in federal money.
The bridge was put on the National Register of Historic sites in 1998.
For photos and story of the restoration, go to: The Copeland Covered Bridge Renovation.
[This item is based on a story in the Schenectady Gazette, June 24, 2003. Our thanks to Dick Wilson for forwarding the clipping - Ed.]