The Town of Rutland has started a project to bring the remaining Twin covered bridge back into public use.
This half of the Twin bridge pair has been out of service since the late 1940's following a flood which claimed the other twin. According to Byron Hathaway, Town of Rutland Engineering, the initial plan is to restore and move the bridge to a nearby town of Rutland recreation park. The restored Town Lattice construction covered bridge would then be enjoyed again as part of the recreational bike path. The initial location choice is Northwood Park in the Town of Rutland.
The project is estimated to take 2 years to complete. Mr. Hathaway has secured a $10,000 grant and $8,000 of local money for the project to date. The final cost of the project is not known at this time. Initial bids are scheduled to go out in January 2002. He is looking to have the restoration completed and the bridge moved into place sometime in 2003.
Since the 1947 the bridge has been used for a number of purposes. The town has used it for storage. It has stored road salt and backhoes. Currently it is being used to store hay. Located off of East Pittsford Road in the Town of Rutland, it has been resting on temporary abutments to keep the bridge off the ground.