January 2, 2021: The Bridgeport Covered Bridge restoration progress.
Herb Lindberg details the December bridge progress:
Work this month focused on
- Completing scarfs (splices) in solid sections of the bottom chords and dry mating them to their bolsters for each end of the bridge,
- Milling daps in these sections to accept H-buckets (1/4-inch steel plates) to reinforce solid-section connections,
- Fabricating H-bucket assemblies for strengthening the four points of intersection (two near each end) between the chords and arches,
- Completing fabrication of the four replacement bolsters,
- Straightening the original wind brace tension rods for the framed buttresses at each end of the bridge,
- Cutting mortises and other joinery into the replacement buttress headers,
- Building a new direct-entry gate to the visitor entry end of the barn,
- Completing concrete encased rebar connections from the pile caps to stabilization deadman concrete at both North and South Abutments, and
- Removing stabilization tower cable anchors, and almost completing aggregate-based compacted backfill at both abutments.
Click below to watch the YouTube video titled: December Bridge Progress.
For more information about the Bridgeport Covered Bridge got to: South Yuba River Park Association website.
Our thanks to Will Truax for passing this information along in The Covered Bridge Experience Facebook group.